Monday, June 4, 2012

Reflection of the Year

The school year is coming to an end, and with it, so is my first experience of Creative Arts class! The memories and lessons I have from art are so wonderful! Art was a time to be with friends and to laugh and have fun, but it was also a time to express yourself and test your abilities! I really have learned so much from Creative Arts Class, in fact, I have a list of things I never thought I would be able to accomplish, but I did: paint a huge self portrait, draw a somewhat realistic apple, saw metal, SOLDER metal (ah fire!), create things with clay and sew together a book! I am still somewhat in shock of the fact that I sewed a book! Art was sort of a sanctury hidden away from the boring odinary school day! It was so cool to be in a class filled with so many talented, people, and to see how differently everyone's projects turned out, even when they were about the same thing! A few weeks ago, Mrs. Kiick was telling the class about how she stood up in front of the Board of Education to tell them why we needed better art classes. She read us her speech, and firstly, it was an amazing and well thought out speech that would have taken me WEEKS to come up with, and secondly, she was talking about 10 Lessons the Arts Teach, and one of them was "The arts teach children that problems can have more than one solution, and that questions can have more than one answer." I really like this quote, because in most cases, I think kids in highschool believe there is only one way to do things, and if you do things differently, you are wrong and considered strange. But art teaches you that its okay and even good to do things differently! If we all solved problems the same way, we would all be the same, and that would be boring! This is probably one of the most important things I've learned all year, in any class, and I can't wait for art and Mrs. Kiick to teach me more next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment